Wednesday, February 21, 2007

Improvised Chili & Cornbread

I'm not from Texas, but I think I can whip up a pretty mean chili. Some of you might point out that my recipe includes beans (a no-no according to some purists) and once you read below and find out that it also includes Smart Ground instead of real ground beef or turkey(!), I'm certain a few of you will be shaking your heads saying: This ain't no chili!
You'll just have to trust me that it packs a real punch and can't be beat on a damp and chilly February night. In case you're wondering, I consider myself an omnivore. I will cook chicken maybe 2-3 times/month and perhaps some ground beef or turkey about once/month. I'd share my thoughts on diet, vegetarianism, environment, etc., but I really want to jot down this recipe now before I forget what went into it. It was improvised and since it came out so well, I need to preserve it for future reference... and, perhaps, your enjoyment!

Chili for a Cold, Damp Night
olive oil (I just pour in what I think is enough... go ahead, be daring!)
2 medium onions, chopped
2 cloves garlic, coarsely chopped
1 large carrot, grated
1 jalapeno, seeds intact, halved lenghtwise, cut into thin slices
1 stalk celery, halved lengthwise, sliced
2 bell peppers (1 red, 1 green) cut into bite-sized chunks
2-3 tsp. chili powder
1 tsp. dried oregano
12 oz.
Smart Ground or ground turkey/beef
1 28 oz. can crushed tomatoes
1 15 oz. can diced tomatoes
1 can kidney beans, do not drain
1 can pinto beans, do not drain
1 bottle of beer

In a large pot, sautee vegetables until onions are transulcent and other vegetables soften. Add spices and sautee 2-4 minutes longer until fragrant. Add Smart Ground and sautee another minute. Add remaining ingredients, including all bean liquid. Cover, bring to a boil, then reduce heat and simmer 30-45 minutes while you make the cornbread... Stir occasionally-don't ignore your delicious, newborn chili.

Cornbread
This recipe comes from my Mom. I have no idea where she got it, but I'm guessing she transcribed it from something like the Fanny Farmer cookbook.

Sift together...
3/4 c. cornmeal
1 c. all-purpose flour
1/3 c. granulated sugar
3 tsp. baking powder

Mix in...
1 c. milk (I often substitute rice milk.)
1 well-beaten egg
2 tbsp. melted sweet cream butter (I use canola oil-I'm sure butter would taste better, but I'm lazy, and cholesterol-obsessed.)

Pour mixture into a greased 8" sq. pan and bake in a preheated oven at 425F for 20 minutes, or until toothpick comes out clean. Hmm good! There's nothing like hot cornbread, right out of the oven--it's to die for. Go slather some butter or trans-fat free spread on it.

See you online and often.





No comments: