Tuesday, February 20, 2007

Martha Invades PBS with Delicious Results

Martha, as many of you probably now, invaded PBS some time ago with her show Everyday Food. I enjoy this, along with other "cooking stories" every Saturday on my local PBS affiliate, WGBH. I can't go a Saturday without watching my "stories" and this past Saturday I was witness to the episode featuring this easy and delicious Acorn Squash Lasagna. While watching, I was somewhat skeptical it could be so easy and yet so tasty, especially since it features "no-boil" lasagna noodles, which I had once before with less than stellar results (the texture of the noodles was rather mealy). After the show, I went online and read the recipe and decided to give it a try. The noodles were fine and it was thoroughly enjoyable and even better the second day (of course). The next time I make it I might add some toasted pine nuts to the squash mixture. And be kind to yourself... use the frozen squash, unless you've got a bumper crop of acorn squash sitting around. Oh, I almost forgot... I reduced the amount of salt going into both the squash mixture and the ricotta mixture--I'm always thinking of my blood pressure. I also used the pre-grated Parmigiano-Reggiano from the Whole Foods cheese case rather than grating my own. This could affect the texture of the ricotta mix since the store-grated cheese is more powder-like than if you were to grate it at home. We'll see next time around...

No comments: